Thursday, June 2, 2011

Anxiously awaiting the weekend

I am really looking forward to this weekend. According to the weather report it will be the first really nice weekend we’ve had this year. Temps are supposed to be in the 70s with a high of 80 for Sunday. If all goes as planned Saturday will be my wife’s first trip in the new drift boat. The water will still be high and fast, but fishing should be decent. It will be deep nymphing watching the thing-a-ma-bobber strike indicator. Personally I like all methods of fly fishing, but my favorite is catching big fish on streamers. Dry fly fishing is what most fishers prefer, but I love swinging streamers and the feel of a big fish slamming the fly. One of the best experiences for me is to target a specific fish and catch it. I have done this with all techniques, and no matter what technique you use it is always a thrill. You get more of a sense that you caught the fish because of your skill instead of just a chance encounter. Last Sunday I was fishing a tandem fly setup on a 12 ft 2X leader with 2 BB split shots.   I caught several fish, but the best was the last. I was about to call it quits when a nice bow rolled just within casting range. I couldn’t let the challenge go unanswered. On the second cast the fish took my fly. After a good fight the fish was landed and released. I am hoping to get my wife into several good fish. I have as much fun putting others into good fish as I do catching them myself. As usual I am also looking forward to a good cigar and a couple of bourbons on the porch at Headhunter fly shop at the end of the day. If you are ever in the neighborhood let me know and I’ll be glad to point you in the right direction. If I can I will even join you. One of the best parts of fishing here in Montana is the people you meet. Being a world class fishery people come from all over to fish the MO. You meet a lot of really interesting folks on the river and in the local watering holes. Hope to see you on the water, porch, or watering hole. If your not into chucking and ducking with heavy artillery you may want to wait until August though. Fishing is always good!

No comments:

Post a Comment