Monday, June 6, 2011

First trip together in the new boat

I am sitting on my patio doing my usual, smoking a cigar and drinking bourbon. It’s what I do when I can’t go fishing and don’t have to work. Come to think of it it’s what I do when I can go fishing and don’t have to work. I just fish while I’m doing it. This weekend a great time was had on the river. My wife and I spent Saturday fishing the MO. It was her first trip of the year and in the new drift boat. We took along a bottle of Champaign that we’ve had lying around for several years. Don’t remember where we stole it from. Must have been a wedding, but I just don’t remember. Maybe I’ve drank to much bourbon, or not enough.  It was a pretty standard day on the river caught some fish and celebrated our first day of sunshine and first trip in the new boat together drinking Champaign and eating strawberries for lunch. My wife the, wine snob, gave me a short but sweet lesson on Champaign informing me that what we were drinking was not REAL Champaign. It was instead a sparkling wine from California. She said REAL Champaign comes from the Champaign region of France. Whatever! The cork popped loudly and it was bubbly.  The weather was true summer weather. Hot 70 something and sunshine. The river was still flowing at 14,000 plus cfs. The fishing was deep nymphing with lots of split shop. We did get a nice rainbow that measured 19 ¾ inches. After reaching our takeout we head for the porch at Headhunters and drank more, ate tacos, and caught up on the latest BS. Another couple from Idaho was there and we swapped fish stories (otherwise known as lies outside fishing circles) and shared a few opinions. All said it was a great time.

I am going to have to spend some time learning how to incorporate pictures into my blogs to make it a little more interesting. Please hang in there anyone who is reading this and I will try to make things more interesting.

The wife is gone on business this week and will be spending next weekend visiting siblings so I will be playing bachelor this week. Next weekend I will most likely be back on the river as it is what I love and live for. A guy I was talking to commented that we should be home mowing the lawn, and I agreed saying how bad I was feeling about that. Oh well maybe another day. For now I guess I will just have to have another drink, smoke another cigar, and wait for the next chance to hit the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment