Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

Cool I got my first follower! Wow someone is actually reading this. I guess I am going to have to start getting serious about my writing now. This Memorial Day weekend was all about fishing. The Missouri river is my home water and the only fishable water in Montana right now as I understand. The Big Horn should be fishable since it is also a tail-water with a large reservoir to act as a settling pond. The Missouri (or MO as we affectionately call it) is running at just under 14,000 (yes 14 thousand) cfs right now. The weather was pretty good on Saturday, and the traffic on the river was heavier than I have seen it this year. I floated from Holter dam to the town of Craig. Saturday was the second voyage in the new boat, and she handled the high water like a champ. The fishing was good, but then as I always say fishing is always good. I am still learning the finer points of putting in and taking out a drift boat. Putting in below the dam was a bit of a challenge as the large amount of water being released caused a lot of wave action which bounced the boat against the rocks and boat ramp. I ended up blocking the ramp for a few minutes while I parked the truck and trailer then sprinted back to the boat. Sorry guys I will do better in the future. That must have been a sight watching this fat guy running in waders across the parking lot. I rigged my 5 weight Sage rod for deeeeep nymphing and my 8 wt Winston for streamers. Hooked 6 and lost 2 nymphing. Zip with the streamers. Sunday floated from Wolf Creek Bridge to Craig and just used the Sage 5wt and nymph setup. Hooked 5 and lost 2. Great time fishing, drinking beer, and smoking cigars on the river. Also enjoyed bourbon and cigar both evenings on the porch at my favorite fly shop in Craig (Headhunters). Headhunter’s porch and Yetti cooler have become legendary in Craig. If you are ever in Craig some evening and see a guy smoking a cigar and BSing with the guides stop and say hi. I am that guy! I guess that makes me that guy at the porch. Most evenings in Craig you can find several guides and an assortment of others, like me, hanging out, drinking an assortment of concoctions, and BSing on the porch at Headhunters. I highly recommend Headhunters for your fly-fishing needs whether it’s a guide or DIY trip. Anyway enough with the plug for Headhunters fly shop. Monday I was too tired to do anything. Just slept in and did some grocery shopping with the wife. I can’t wait until next weekend to get back to the MO and the porch. The weather is supposed to be nicer and hopefully I can get my wife to come along. I need someone to oar the boat.

See you on the porch with cigars, bourbon, and fly-fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment